View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Here’s some info on fish released with hooks. Pike can shake loose crankbaits within a couple days.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...a-fishs-mouth/

Personally I’m a surgeon at removing hooks, and it’s usually only when they’ve swallowed one, when I cut them. Pulling a hook out of a fishes gullet is certain death. If for some reason it’s taking me too long, I will cut hooks of course. I have good sidecuttes and will try to cut the hook apart as much as possible.

If it’s swallowed, they have a decent chance of eroding the hook with stomach acid. They swallow prey whole, so they have strong guts. I don’t buy the tale that hooks rust away, maybe in salt water, but not fresh.

I don’t understand why TV anglers often mishandle fish. Lipping Bass or gilling Walleye then tossing them from standing height. Like set an example jackazz.

Great post BTW. This should be on page 2 of the regulations booklet IMO.

It’s interesting that the most hazardous piece of equipment to fish now is a camera. I hate when I seen people standing around for 5 mins taking dozens of pictures. Thankfully it’s not often, and those people don’t fish much or catch much, lol.