View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM

Interesting discussion. Does anybody know how many canadian resident WT tags are sold in Alberta every year? I did some snooping and found that in 2004 there were 2530 canadian resident WT tags sold in Sask, that's about 6.7% of the total either sex tags sold. It would be interesting to see if more non resident canadians choose Sask over Alberta (or vice versa).

As somebody who has hunted both provinces as a resident and a non resident they each have their advantages and drawbacks. Personally, I've always found the biggest difference to be access to land.

Sure the mulie and elk hunting is great in Sask but keep in mind that outfitters don't have access to those species either (no, I am not taking a shot at outfitters. I have guided in the past and will guide again in the future). I would think that there are far more non resident alien tags issued in Alberta for those species than Canadian resident tags. If Alberta was to become more restrictive on it's canadian-resident opportunities it would likely have to follow suit by restricting non-resident alien tags as well. We all know how well that would sit with APOS (some might say TS but that is a different discussion). On the other side of the fence, if Sask were to expand their canadian resident opportunities they'd likely get a lot of pressure from outfitters to let them in as well (which would mean more competition for access and trophy critters).

In a rounabout way I'm trying to make the point that the grass is always be greener somewhere else. When I lived in Sask, I hated that i needed a babysitter (hunter host) to hunt whitetails while at school in Alberta. Now that I live in Alberta, I miss hunting mulies in the river hills back home.