View Single Post
Old 08-22-2017, 10:33 AM

Default Tragedy at Hummingbird Creek on the Weekend

Spent the weekend out at Hummingbird Creek. Lots of guys prepping to head out for the sheep opener. Unfortunately there was a double fatality in the Hummingbird Creek equestrian staging campground on Sat. Three people were using their horse trailer as sleeping quarters and using a propane heater in the trailer for heat. The trailer appeared to be sealed up pretty tight not allowing much fresh air into the trailer. The two deceased people and their dog were sleeping in the front section of the trailer with the older gentleman sleeping in the back next to the door which was partially open for fresh air.
I hope everyone is safe this fall and remembers not to use propane heaters in enclosed sleeping areas without a lot of fresh air available. It was a tragedy which could have easlily been avoided.
Another thing that made me sit up and think is the fact that there is on cell coverage out their at all. I have never gave it much thought before and enjoy the phone not ringing. There were campers in the next parking area over that had a emergency SOS device and were able to send a text out to contact the police and the older gentlemans family. After this we will be purchasing a similar device and taking it out west with us from now on.
My condolences to the families for their loss.