View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Except for some of the parts that Identify endangered/vulnerable lakes and yet you can go there to those lakes and catch 100 x 2#Walleye each person in 3 hours. I don’t think their science or surveys of some of those lakes are completely sound based on my catch rate at least, and once again decisions will likely be made half baked. Expect more closures and fewer harvest opportunities while we continue to put all resources in to stocking Trout. As for tags, great system this is, been able to keep 6 Walleye in the last 6 years, gee thanks! Have to buy Walleye filets from Manitoba at Costco to get a taste. Admittedly a lot cheaper than buying gear and paying for fuel to go fishing myself. Can’t run up to Slave every week for a fish. Don’t understand the thought process of allowing to keep fish over 50cm which are the large prime breeding stock producing millions of eggs while not allowing people to keep the small fish for the pan. This is completely backwards to the rest of the world. They say it is to allow those small fish a chance to grow up and spawn at least once. Seems backasswords to me. Hurry up and wait for those small ones to grow up in a lake where they eat each other out of house and home, the forage base gets thinned out greatly by overpopulation of small Walleye (ie: lack of baitfish) and allow people to keep the larger fish that will spawn millions of eggs this spring? Huh? Everywhere else that i have ever been allows some harvest of smaller fish whilst protecting the large breeder stocks. If it’s a bad recruitment year and there aren’t many small fish in a couple years then so be it, the big fish get to live on and keep spawning. I don’t think you need a tag system to manage that way, just a max length and modest bag limit. I think our Gov probably knows as much about managing fisheries as they do about controlling deficits. I’m no expert, but I’ve seen enough to make me question the validity of their decision making.
We keep all the breeders. They always say fishing pressure, no the limit was way to high years ago at 10 for pike, and 10 whitefish in some lakes and they could have never supported limits like that. Just follow saskatchewan, in their regs they say to keep a fish if it's bleeding, but not in good old alberta, we put ours back just to die because of stupid regulations.
Alberta couldn't manage a gold fish properly if they had to.