View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Look in the corner of the windshield and the passenger and driver's windows for the writing. There is a safety code there. If you put a film on that glass that is negated, which according to Transport Canada is unsafe and therefore contrary to the TSA. That glass is intended to absorb a certain amount of energy, and to break in a certain manner and the film screws that up. As for the film, it can be clear, orange, purple, black or mirrored, it doesn't matter, not ok.

There is nothing in the TSA about it being for officer safety.

Tint inherent to the glass and part of the manufacturers inspected approval is A-OK.

If the color or tint is dark or distracting enought that it impairs the drivers ability to see that is a seperate charge and matter, not the one being discussed.
bingo, we have a winner. Except for the part about there being a separate charge for dark tint- same charge, same offence, same fine amount.

To me, the biggest reason for tint laws is due to the negative effect they have on your visibility at night. Do drivers wear sunglasses when they drive at night? Never pulled one over that was...can't see $chitt at night with them on. Tinted film has a similar effect. Think about driving through a crosswalk at night in the city...or pulling out from a parallel parking spot at night while a pedestrian or cyclist is passing by. Pretty tough to see cyclists or pedestrians in these situations at the best of times, let alone with tinted film on your windows.

Also, the comment about 'factory tint' no longer applies. Most, if not all, factory tint on the front driver/passenger windows these days is not installed at the 'factory', it is farmed out to tint companies after dealers take delivery of the vehicle. Each and every person that I've stopped for tint in the last 10 years that claims 'factory tint' has had a tinted adhesive film applied from the 'factory'. Manufacturers simply don't tint or smoke the glass in front driver/passenger windows anymore. Haven't in years.

I'm sure a certain someone out there will chime in with the 'real truth' about factory tint lol