Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Chinook Salmon aka
Jack Spring under 17 lbs
Spring 17 to 30 lbs
Tyee 30 to 50 lbs
King over 50 lbs

yes to Chain Pickerel in Eastern Canada/States look at markings and gill plate bottom half has scales /Pike does not

Slang in western Canada for Walleye

also in BC they call Lake Trout char /real Artic Char are in Rivers/ lake that flow into Artic.. although it Lake Trout is in the Char family

in BC they call Bull Trout / Dolly Varden .. but they are in Alaska/Yukon/NWT/Sea of Japan area(Dolly) and Northern flowing rivers and migrates to Sea and back unless stocked and they have differn,t number of small gill rakers(21-22)first in jaw area new study in 80's.. Bull Trout have 25 to 30

Food for thought
David
You are not entirely correct... sorry. Spring is what we call the Chinook species. King is what the Americans call them. A Tyee is 30 lbs+. A Smiley is 20 lbs but less than 30 lbs. We have rainbows, gerrard rainbows (which are land locked steelhead), kokanee (which are land locked sockeye salmon), dolly varden and bull trout in our lakes in BC. They are all different species. Dollies and Bull trout are often confused by inexperienced anglers but there are pictures in the regs that clearly define them and they look entirely different. I caught a 7 lb Dolly and a 7 lb Rainbow last week within 15 minutes and they were twins in body and head shape but the spots and colouring are entirely different. Trust me, I have caught thousands of fresh water and salt water fish in BC but I happen to live in Calgary for the most part.