View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I'd hardly compare a field of oats to a pile of oats
Agreed, but who doesn't get excited seeing a swathed field they can hunt on that didn't gt the grain removed before first snow?

Baiting, right or wrong, happens...

I'd love to be able to sit in a heated blind with my 5 year old and see a ton of deer. I'd gladly buy oats or alfalfa bales for that. Doesn't make me a bad person!

I'd still hunt other ways too. I'd still float the rivers, hike or bike in the mountains, walk and glass the coulees out east, push bush, hunt in unbaited blinds and stands and occasionally take that morning or evening drive (the Horror!) But for me I'd like that option sometimes as well.

With few exceptions the WT shows in Sask are all filmed on them, and I'm not going to lie it looks pretty cozy. My kids have asked why we don't see that many deer and hunt in blinds like those. I know they'd be way more enthused if they could... My daughter (9) loves to tag along, but after 4-5 miles slogging in the snow she's done...

I buy twice as many 2nd cut round bales than I'll need for my animals and the reason is I roll them out come January. If the deer could talk I know they'd say 'Thank you'... If they're correct and 5% of the population dies from CWD, it's better than 50% in a bad winter...

JMO