Thread: Tikka T3x 3006
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Please elaborate
Well for me anyway, your mile may vary of course.
Since I hand load my rounds very carefully of course, I first chrono my cartridges, sight my rifle in at given range then go to shooterscalculator.com site and plug in the numbers, altitude weather etc., once I get a ballistic chart of where my rounds will hit at given distance I go back to the range and verify.
I carefully check my hits up to 300 yards, cause that is my max comfortable hunting range and make notes, having all that information gives me the confidence in my rifle and my ability to hunt up to but no further than 300 yards.
My whitetail this year was taken at a 6% angle according to my range finder at 210 yards, knowing that my rounds hit +/- 2.3" high with my loads I needed no adjustment shooting down on my deer, critter laid down in 10 seconds and expired, was very thankful to the deer gods of course.
But like any system, every one has one it is what works for the individual, some sight in at 100 and use a bdc turret or reticle, my schmidt is a simple 8x scope with a duplex reticle so no playing around with turret or bdc hold over, but then again it depends where you hunt; woods open field all that makes a difference in my approach.