View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
I’ve still hunted big timber but alas have never cashed in. I usually get my deer on pipelines as they cross the same trails.

When you guys say “ in the woods” or “in big timber” .....How tight exactly is the bush and how far can you see?

I’ve watched trails through spruce and through poplar beds. Usually see them in poplar ....
In the timber I generally hunt I can see anywhere from 100 yards or a little better on a poplar ridge, to less than 10 yards in a willow choked bottom. Generally if I can see/ shoot 20-30 yards I am pretty happy, more is always welcome. If ground conditions are noisy, or the wind unpredictable I might purposely hunt areas I can see further.

One more advantage to hunting rugged country is that you can see further, when you look across flat country you generally cant see very far. If you are on a ridge looking down, or at the bottom looking up at a hillside you are looking into the terrain, not across it, and the distance you can see increases greatly.