View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 07:48 PM

The first fish I remember catching was actually two fish! I think I was in kindergarten at the time.

I was out with my dad on the Diplomat Mine Trout Pond, by Forestburg and the old Transalta plant out there where he used to work (Timeframe, 1991). We were ice fishing. He'd been trying to drill a hole with the auger, and it was not going well for him. Some kind soul with a gas powered auger came over and offered to help. This wonderful gentleman drilled a hole for me, and a hole for my dad.

We set up a pickerel rig with chartruese trout powerbait. (Dad swore they loved that colour). And I sat. And sat. And got a little bored, then sat some more. Suddenly, things were pulling on my line. When we brought the rig up there were two little 7 inch trout on the line. I was very excited.

The story ended in tragedy, though. We brought the fish home, and cleaned them. Several days later I asked my parents when we were going to eat my fishes. Dad confessed he'd eaten them both already, since there wasn't enough for everyone, (I have four siblings). I was crushed.