View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 AM

I haven't dropped a coyote in 5-6 years! Haven't made the time to get out there until the past few days.

That said, I'm only able to sneak away from work here for an hour or so at a time which kinda limits where I can go. I picked up a mouth caller and I've been trying every wounded prey call I can, with minimal luck.

Yesterday I switched things up because I'd read somewhere that we're into breeding season now. I set up and tried male interrogation howl, followed by a few female invitation howls. Within 5 minutes I had a big male with his chest all puffed out come trottin' in from my 9 o'clock. I wasn't set up to shoot left and was along a tree line. By the time I had my rifle swung over he was already high tailing it back into the trees.

No dice, but it was rewarding to finally figure out what gets these guys moving up here.

Here's a picture of an odd coyote I shot back in 2005-2006.

It was boxing day and the girls headed to the mall, so I headed out to scout mulies. I come up on one coulee and saw this girl running up the opposite side. Went home and got my .22-250 and headed back out.

I knew the field she had took off into and there was only one more coulee in the middle of it so I came up on that one. Sure enough she was heading out the opposite side and I got a lucky shot on her while she was running away.

Ended up giving the dog to a buddy/taxidermist to put in his show room on the condition that he didn't sell it to the guys who were calling and trying to buy the sucker.

It was an odd year for color phase coyotes in Swift Current then. Here's a picture of my white one mounted up next to two black ones harvested in the same area. (Swift Current)