View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
You should be aware and consider that neither is a mil-spec 1911.
You should be aware Mil spec isn't always a good thing!

To the OP, I've shot several Kimber 1911's and own a P220. I like the DA/SA of the P220 but you can't go wrong with a classic like the 1911. I'm assuming your talking about the Government Model 1911 with the full 5" barrel, not the officer or commander style.

The Sig has no external safety per say, but has a decock. The 1911 has a safety. Both should be 8+1. If you go with the 1911, Wilson Combat are about the best mag's you can get. As far as parts either for replacement or upgrading to match grade components its best to lean towards the 1911 as its the Rem 700, Ford 5.0, Chevy 350 of handguns. The P220 will be easier to field strip as you don't need the special wrench like the 1911 does. The trigger on the 1911 is better IMO.

I'd handle both in a store and if you get the opportunity to fire them do it. Either way you won't go wrong! If I was to buy another full frame .45 I'd be looking at a Para 1911 or a Springfield TRP. (Oh and don't desecrate the pistol by getting one with a rail lol)