View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
$1300

13 coyotes... 2-4 hours work for some, not including the setting.

But there's cheaper ways to do it.

Summertime course. Sleep in a tent like a real trapper. Cook your own food like a real trapper. Ya might hafta squat on th ground like a real trapper too!

Back to $450

4.5 coyotes... lets say a good hours work. For the uninitiated, it'll be more yes, but they will get it done quick enough.
The ATA is not supposed to be a for profit business, it's supposed to be a non profit ADVOCACY. Your ideas (ie tent) would have been valid back when the course was made mandatory without the proper resources in place. Now, there are instructors scattered around the province. Besides, I don't think that the per diem/hotels are included in that $1300 instructor's pay, that would be separate, additional costs. Now that, for the most part, the hotels are eliminated, so do the expenses to conduct the course. Does turning a larger profit for the ATA trump using that money to lower the cost of the course?

How much do you want to bet that Wolfcrazy will instruct this course right in his backyard and not be living in a tent and cooking his own meals?

Peace River
October 7-9, 2017
Call 780-349-6626 for more information or to register.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
Thinking about it more, I think I would just do the instructing for nothing.
The personal satisfaction would be enough reward. I'm going to look into getting the required training.
As would I, but not if the cost of the course remained at $399. I'm willing to bet that there are good people in every Local in Alberta who'd be willing to give up one weekend per year to conduct a course for free. Knocking off $1300 from a course of 10 students would put the cost of the course at $269 per student. Take the per diem/hotel out of it and the cost would even be lower. Then you apply the free MOU money that is provided by the GOA for training to the cost of the course and it drops a whole lot more after that. IMO, a $250 Basic Trapping course is possible and still turn a bit of a profit for the ATA.

The problem is with people on the Executive also being instructors, how many would be willing to give up their $1300 three day gig and support something like that? I know of two Directors who would not.