View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
Glad it worked out for you. I'm sure you're a great target archer at long ranges, but things will happen in the field with live moving targets - give it time. I hope you never wound one.

Haven't seen anyone in this tread argue that bows/arrows can't shoot effectively to 100+ meters with the proper gear, tuning and practice. But all that doesn't matter if the game moves after the arrow is in flight.

Just curious if you practice with full camo (gear) and broadheads at those 100 ranges? What kind of groups do you get? Your groups certainly won't be affected by buck fever at 80 yards ... you aren't even close enough to feel the rush.

You are missing the entire point of bowhunting - getting up close and personally. Hopefully you never become an ambassador of the sport - the last thing the bowhunting community needs is more long range shooters.
I never practice in my hunting gear, it stays locked up to keep it as scent free as possible. However I do practice in clothing equivalent to what I will be hunting in. Practice while standing, kneeling, starting from a prone position to a kneeling or standing then shooting, from a chair in case I decide to use a ground blind, from the roof of the shop in case I find myself in a treestand, and after a sprint to my bow to get the heart rate up there. And another one that I find helps out alot is stand facing the opposite direction of your target then turn around draw and fire as quick as you can while being accurate, really helps with getting the aiming process speed improved.
I do not shoot anything besides broadheads, theres no point. I dont shoot in 3d tournaments so why bother shooting anything other than what I will be hunting with. I end up spending a rude amount of money on broadheads.
I think I would be a great ambassador for bowhunting, I'm about as hardcore with it as anyone.
I am not missing the point of bowhunting at all, and I dont shoot every animal at long range. I took my Mulie buck on Sept 2cd from 24 yards after a 3 hour stalk, now that was exciting. However if I am 80 yards away and am not confident that I can get closer I will not hesitate to take the shot. Why? Because I practice it all the time and know I can make the shot. Its just like rifle hunting, some guys wont shoot over 200 and some guys wont even blink at 600.