View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Thanks for the time and replies so far!
Ive spent many, many months in a trailer. It was in a different capacity though, deep in the Bush of NWT Ontario where you don't have to worry about online booking in March to secure a spot. I'm more imexperienced in the type of RV camping that Alberta has for sure. The comment about anything over 30' being a pain is exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for!
Thanks!

That's good to hear you have the experience, the hassle is also related to towing. Making roadside stops at farmers markets or whatever, was pretty much a no go, unless it was in a town.

Just for reference. We went from one extreme to the other. 17' no slides to 36' with dual slides. We sold our trailer two years ago when job security was an issue, plus we were looking to downsize. I found when my kids where toddlers we wanted room, but once they hit 5ish, they stayed outside the whole time (even in bad weather). We used to camp every weekend from may long til sept long. But priorities have changed and we only end up camping one week a year. So we either rent/borrow something for that week. With that being said, I picked up a tent a couple weeks ago. lol. More work on my end, but more experience for the kids. Simpler life.

Booking sites can be a pain, especially if you always camp with another family. Trying to get two sites relatively close together was usually a 30min mad scramble on the computer 90 days previous to get good sites.

Oh, and one a couple more things. Most campgrounds were not designed for large RV's, which means sometimes even driving to the site involved creative use of trees, hell my dad used to take an extendable branch trimmer. Most of the old campgrounds that have made room for newer RV's (30'+), have basically created a parking lot. As an example look at the Bow Valley Campground.

Not trying to be all negative. Just a realist. RV'ing is a great experience, My family will ALWAYS remember it and the times we had, just some people don't realize it's still a lot of work.

Last piece of advice.. Get the best Weight distributing/sway hitch you can afford, and learn how to set it up yourself. It makes a WORLD of difference.