View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
In 2015 I had that draw and it was not the experience you had with numbers and the chance to pass on nice bulls. The river did not freeze so elk didnt come off the base. Our native friends were called in by the farmers on the east side pre hunting season and wiped out those herds. By the absolute generosity of some awesome AO guys, I was turned onto a new area and with their help, got my first elk. Not a monster but unique rack.

I hope your bro in law can find some bulls, the gents who helped me, have hunted elk down there this year and said it was tough going to find numbers and size. If the river freezes and the inside base hunts push them out, could be good. Good luck, hope he can tag a good one.
I remember following your hunt and was shocked that you didn't have more opportunity. When I was down the river was still semi frozen but enough bulls had made it into the big breaks on the east side to make the hunt amazing. It is really sad that such there wasn't a way to manage the herd for hunters and landowners to both win. It was truly the hunt of a lifetime for me down there and it looks like those days are over.