View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Sent to CBC Ombudsman:

I regret to say that I’m very disappointed with CBC’s coverage of a supposed news event in which a Canadian hunter legally hunts and kills a mature cougar. The legal hunt and kill of a cougar, done within the very strict parameters of the law, is not news. As a matter of fact, it occurs hundreds of thousands of times throughout the year in Alberta and across Canada.
Having a nationally funded news organization vilify a legal hunter is a black eye for the CBC, and is an example of choosing the easy news story that resonates with the current public appetite against legal consumptive use of renewable resources, in a way that our ancestors have done for generations. Moreover, hunting is being used as a tool for wildlife conservation, with a slew of government biologists on payroll to help determine conservative harvest levels that will help both “game” and “non-game” species thrive.
CBC: congratulations on turning your back upon an important tradition for the benefit of satiating our lust for scandal and retweets. Also, cudos on publishing an ethical and legal hunter’s name for public scrutiny by some members that believe threatening to kill a man is more acceptable than his legal kill of a cougar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said Dave.

Here's mine:
Message: This "news" article seems to be an attempt to fabricate controversy over cougar hunting.
The population of cougars in Alberta is on the rise, there is a healthy population of the species, it's a species that can cause conflict with people if their numbers near cities aren't controlled.
This article, other than mentioning that hunting cougars in Alberta is legal, did nothing to present balanced information on why there is a hunting season for cougars.
I see this as an example of biased reporting and expect a public broadcaster to do a better job of providing information, even if the article was picked up from the Canadian Press.