View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 PM

Default Frustration setting in!!

First, let me state that I have been having a great hunting season this year. I'm hunting a new area, and it's proven to be a good switch from my old hunting area. I have been seeing game every time out, with the exception of one day where I didn't see anything at all. I'm hunting antlered moose and deer on this property and I've been close to a couple good bulls. I had an eventful archery season, getting to within bow range of two different bulls. They did not end up giving me a shot however. I also flung an arrow at a whitetail doe. Which made contact and passed through the deer. Unfortunately the doe was not recovered. Guessing by the evidence on the arrow, I think I missed the vitals all together it was covered in thick tallow fat and had very little blood on the arrow. I could not find a blood trail due to rain, and after doing a search of the general area, I came up with nothing.

Fast forward to this past week. I am on public land so seeing other hunters is no surprise. There's not many guys hunting here, but It gets a little depressing seeing a moose gutpile and hide, right close to where I had seen the one bull last month. Another gutpile of what was obviously a deer was discovered this morning as well. There are other people having success, and I'm happy for them. The frustrating part for me is that I'm having numerous encounters, but no real opportunities at the moose. I've been hunting very hard, and having my butt kicked by these animals.

Yesterday, I came up on a bull that was more than sufficient for a first bull moose. I had him just outside 200 yards for over an hour, just standing there watching me. I could have shot him 100 times over. Unfortunately, he was 20 yards in to the neighbouring property. I tried calling him over, and he just stood there staring at me. So this morning, I headed back out there again to try my luck for half a day. As I'm walking through the one field. A bull elk pops over the hill, 80 yards away. No tag in my pocket for elk, draw only in that wmu. Had a chance to get one crappy picture with my phone before he bolted off! Fast forward three and a half hours as I'm walking out to my truck, through the same field, and I bumped another bull moose. This time he's on the property I can hunt him on. And surprise, he can run faster than Flash Gordon! It is extremely frustrating that I had a bull in plain view yesterday that was broadside for probably 55 minutes or more, but today when I'm able to shoot, the moose doesn't give me half a second to shoot! I guess this thread is just a big venting session. Anyone else having an otherwise super successful year, with the exception of folding a tag yet??