View Single Post
Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Schnizz View Post
Would it make any sense that if you had a much lighter load than what the trailer and tires were rated for that you would decrease the PSI in the tires? As an example, trailer and tires both rated for 3000 lbs, but total weight of boat/motor/gear, etc. is only 1,500 lbs. The recommended tire pressure on the side of the tires is 50 psi. Should I be filling them up to 50 psi (or based on EZM's post, fill to 40 psi on a cold tire)? I've been getting some terrible wear on my tires without a significant amount of miles on them. They are bias ply tires if that makes any difference. I'm thinking of switching to radials.
Radials are a good idea for sure. I would never buy bias plys again. They just don't hold up as well and, when a tire goes, they go off like a bomb and if you are the highway, you are likely to be looking at a new rim and fender by the time you slow down and pull over.

I'm not a tire expert, but do have quite a bit of experience with trailers/towing/etc.. - so take what I say based on that ....

From my perspective - I'm not sure I would under inflate any tire. It would add excessive wear. For a light load, I guess a little under inflated is better compared to a little over inflated - but you don't ever want to go to low or too high on pressure - at least that's my take on it.

A tire inflated to max (like a pumped up bouncy balloon) on light load (or an empty utility trailer) bounces all over the place - and, it's not great for the tires. It's probably not great for the trailer either. But generally you are not going a long ways or driving too fast.

If I dropped off a load, and knew I had a long ways to go back with an empty trailer, I'd likely ensure the pressure wasn't too high and would consider letting a little out - that would make sense. But in my mind it might be like another 5 lbs maybe 10lbs on a 50 psi tire. That might be like 35lbs cold or 40-42lbs cold. (just based on what I typically see for pressure changes) but there is no way I'd go down the highway (or on a long trip) with a light bouncy trailer with the tired pumped up to the max.

Just my thoughts ....