Thread: metis info
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
So, can someone give me the Coles notes on this? Seems the Metis nation now has access to the entire province north of Red Deer.

Any reason why this can not be changed once we get a proper Gov in charge?
From what I see metis harvesting rights won't be decided upon by f&w anymore. The zones wont be restricted to 160km distance of ones settlement.

Instead of needing a harvesting rights paper from fish and wild life metis will need their metis card with the proper zones that they have rights to.

What's not clear is the specific area each metis person will be able to hunt. For example one metis settlement over laps into 2 zones based on the website so will those metis be able to hunt both zones?? Sonto answer your question no they dont have access to half the province. Definitely a bigger area but far from entire province.

A friend is asking how his current harvesting rights change so I can confirm tomorrow if hes restricted to one or two zones tomorrow.

And on the topic of a govt changing the rules.. these changes have been in the works for maybe 10 years. Ndp didnt start these consultations, they just happen to be the ones in power for the signing of things.