View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Shelley,

I've got friends who work in land depts for forestry and oil and gas too, and you have my sympathy about the hoops SRD makes you jump through in terms of timing restrictions and moving locations of pipes etc. The trouble is, it doesn't really do any good, which is why the herds are still declining.
The restrictions exceed more than just timing, though when this program was first implemented the restrictions were almost exclusively about timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
Its just a matter of balance, and clearly we have crossed that line.
The herd data that comes from our environmental company is quite positive for the most part. It isn't perfect, but it does reflect that the majority of the herds are doing well.

We want all of the herds to be doing well, of course, but significant improvements have been made in the last ten years. Instead of saying "we can't keep doing this" what we really need to say is "How can we build on the improvements we've made, and keep improving?"

Those of us who work in oil and gas are certainly aware of the environmental impact, but we also have a deep understanding of how things are changing and evolving to protect and restore the environment. This understanding could very well be why many of us just aren't as worried as laymen: we're not turning a blind eye to the situation, we're casting an educated eye on it.

Here's something I find pretty exciting:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/mark...ntent=b4529338

It is a giant step in a great direction, and while it may not be perfect . . . let's keep moving forward and learn how to build and improve on it.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.