View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
Prussian carp has never displaced or stunted any predator species. If it were so, all of southern/central Alberta reservoirs would be full of them. These carp did not show up yesterday, some of the earliest catches are from 95/96 caught NE of Strathmore in farm dugouts and irrigation ponds.

These ponds are fine examples that Prussian carp is not as dangerous to Alberta waters as everybody wants to think. It is populated by perch, Prussian carp, lake whitefish, tulibee, suckers and pike (some very large pike for given size of waterbody). All these fish have different age classes within species. Yes perch and carp seem to be in biggest number, after them would be tulibee and then whitefish and last pike.

Lower number of pike is due to greedy fisherman keeping every one they can catch, same goes for whitefish.

So my point is after 20 years of their known existence in a fairly small body of water(about 6 meters deep and size of a football field) they have not been able to overtake the ecosystem, nor did perch. I've never witnessed a winterkill at this location so oxygen levels must be fine.

These are facts based on observation and communication with local fisherman that hang out there. Something that very few of you if any can claim. That is why I don't believe in Internet studies and bs videos. First hand experience tells me a different story.
You are free to believe what you want.
but,
Just their very existence creates the displacement. Pretty hard not to see that.

edit: That said damage is done and irreparable. In 20 years they will be common and by then accepted(maybe sooner).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 04-22-2015 at 09:37 AM.