View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 07:35 PM

My daughter got her learners on her 14th birthday, and we started driving right away. I started her in my Tundra right off the bat, got her used to a larger vehicle. Parking lots to start, followed by range roads around the area and the side streets to get to them. Graduated to industrial park in Nisku, then to small town streets here in town, then finally onto the secondary highways, QE2 and into downtown Edmonton. Everything is gradual, build on experiences and he'll be fine. I drove with her for a year and a half, then turned her over to AMA for a series of lessons to "finish" her so to speak. There were a few things I couldn't get her to overcome, mostly difficulty parking straight and depth perception with oncoming traffic on side roads with street parking. She had a hard time getting a feel for how close she could actually get to parked cars on the street. I basically got her as far as I could, then let them do the polishing work, plus insurance break.

She got her licence on her 16th birthday and hasn't looked back, she turned 17 in January, sure nice not being a chauffeur.