View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheel View Post
Some excellent comments here, but having a long career as a professional driver, I would add a few more.

My 15-year-old is number six, plus one wife and a few class 1 wannabees. After all that, I can honestly recommend that most parents should consider professional lessons for their youngsters. One reason is piece of mind -- patience and a calm demeanor are essential -- and you probably can get a discount on your insurance. But I have to point out that the main reason would be to avoid teaching bad habits (even a few recommended in this thread, though I won't comment on which ones).

If you still want to save the money on lessons, but are not sure if you really want to tackle this ordeal, first consider paying an licensed instructor for one hour to evaluate your own skills. You might be surprised at what you forgot (or never knew) about the basics. Remember that the kid will have to take the road test. Moreover, nobody will become a more annoying critic of your mistakes once he or she learns a few things, so you had better be prepared to set a great example. (Trust me, I would be embarrassed to be seen driving the way most people drive, so I work hard at practicing what I preach)!

The rest is simple: practice, practice, practice.

As mentioned, empty parking lots are a good place to start. Start. Stop Start. Stop. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right. Turn right. (It gets boring in a hurry. Patience!) Then left, left, left. And so on. Industrial areas in the evening are great. Go around the same block, turning right, as often as you have to. Cornering seems to be a skill that takes a lot of reps before it becomes a motor skill. Then the same block, turn left, left, left, and so on. The basic braking and turning skills need to be acquired before dealing with other traffic.

Low traffic rural highways are the next best step. After all that, it's a matter of spending as much time as possible cruising around in conditions the youngster is comfortable with. The stress of high traffic situations is a bad idea for both of you early in the training.

No distractions: radio, phones off. Teach the commands "STOP!" and "STOP NOW!" (or BRAKE if you prefer) early in the game. Make sure this command is not questioned! Grab a copy of a training manual at a Registry for many guidelines and tips. Start at age 14. They are much more controllable before 16 to 18. Remember that a stop sign means stop. Stop before the crosswalk, stop line, or sign, as applicable. Even when you can't see past a fence or trees, stop first before crawling ahead to check for traffic. This is one of the biggest mistakes that most drivers make every day.

Speeding on a road test -- or any other moving violation -- will result in a failure. Watch speed like a hawk. Circle check, every trip. Before you start moving, leave your seat belt off until your youngster notices. Repeat, until he or she does. Every time. Be positive. Build confidence. But be firm when safety becomes compromised. Remember that you must remain in control of every situation. You can't teach experience, but it's great to be there helping the youngster gain it. Enjoy!

Still want to take this on? If you do, there's nothing more satisfying that knowing your 17 year old girl is heading out to "rescue" some 18 year old classmates that know they shouldn't be driving and have to sense to call a competent, caring friend to get them home safely.
Love it when my kids end up being the designated driver!!!