Thread: Wolf Poisoning
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243plus View Post
I can't see how putting poison into the ecosystem is a good thing. There is too much collateral damage.

If the idea is to help caribou (which I think is the reason), much better to maintain their habitat. If you want to target wolves, put a bounty on them, although frankly, I'm not sure how effective that would be. Most hunters will take a wolf if they get a chance anyways.
How is maintaining habitat going to save the caribou now? The wolves are there because the deer, elk, and moose moved in following human development. The wolves are there because of humans, so humans should do the responsible thing and remove the wolves before they kill all of the caribou. The caribou aren't starving to death, they're being eaten. All this Disney-esque rhetoric about the wolves, bears and caribou living in harmony before Europeans arrived makes me want to puke. The forests were mostly devoid of elk, moose, bears and wolves before whitey showed up. I would prefer that we manage the predators now instead of letting them starve out once the caribou and other ungulates are all gone.

There are already bounties on wolves. The bounties aren't working and are no more palatable to the non hunting public than poisoning is.

This thread reminds of the story of bio's wanting to castrate the wolves and the rancher replying "they ain't screwing my cows, they're eating them!"

Gerry Burnie