View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Typically cut up my own animals, haven't used a butcher in about 5 or 6 years but due to circumstances had to take this elk into a butcher. Based on good reviews on here I took my elk to Rocky, here is my experience.

Rocky was great, phoned him late afternoon on opening day and he was able to get to his shop by 9:45. I met him there and liked how available he is.

Quick turnaround on the butchering, had the animal back within 10 days (cut and wrap job only).

When I went to pick it up, was disappointed that there were no roasts, all went to trim. Thought we had discussed a couple of the best roasts, but maybe we didn't. Likely my fault for not making sure, and maybe I just assumed there would be roasts? Ha

The guy helping me pick up my stuff gave me a box of steaks, a box of burger I got him to grind (30lbs) and a box of trim. The butcher thought that was all, I was sure there should be more. He looked and looked, phoned a couple of different people and finally after about 15 minutes found my other box of trim. Was a little surprised it wasn't all together??

I get home and unload it into the freezer. Open up the burger and for 30lbs, it is in 12 packages, so just under 3lb per pack. I had discussed with rocky that I wanted 1-1.25lb packages of burger, disappointed over that. Called Rocky and he completely understood my frustration, agreed to meet me back there and fix the burger. Still disappointed I would have to drive back there.

Rocky charges a premium from other shops I see in the area (charges $1.13/lb) and I would have expected premium service. Maybe this is normal for butchering services as I have not used them a ton in the past, but a little disappointed and unsure if I would go back.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk