View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 03:02 AM

After reading this post if feel that the worst enemy to our sheep population is both access and the popularity of sheep hunting in the past couple of decades.

Talking to a lot of the old boys (before all of the roads such as the shell road down south and other forestry roads) there was way better hunting because of less pressure. It is inevitable that sheep hunting is more accessible now (for example drive down highway 40 and spot a legal ram). Something has to be changed. Plain and simple more sheep are being shot in alberta than ever. Because it is a "trophy animal" there is a lot of hype and bragging that surrounds it.

To me the biggest thing that has to change is the mentality that comes with sheep hunting. The best sheep hunters I know, are the people that genuinely love to sheep hunt, and have two or three sheep on their wall and will never shoot one again. For them they have accomplished to get a "trophy sheep" and just enjoy sheep hunting. They now just like always enjoy being out in the mountains and seeing sheep or helping a first time sheep hunter or kid trying to get his first sheep.

To me sheep hunting and (hunting in general) has become to big of a competition, and some people want to shoot a sheep to say they have done it or try to prove to other people that they are some great hunter and feel the need to be idolized. It should be a personal thing, and there is to much jealously. I idolize the real sheep hunters that love and respect sheep.

I do believe however that something should and will be done in some zones to protect our alberta sheep, but some zones have and continually produce healthily sheep populations. It will never again be like the good old days, but we should look at the future of sheep hunting in general. I thing the age solution could be a great idea to try and build a mature ram population and reward those that pass on a just legal ram. It should be treated like a trophy deer. Many people that want to shoot a mule deer for example will pass on a young deer in hopes it will grow up and become a mature trophy.

I also believe that the waiting period between sheep is a great idea. If some one is in need of meat you can get all sorts of tags in alberta to fill the freezer. Because I think it is a trophy animal I think that it should not matter if you got a sheep or not, but the quality of the hunt you are on. On some previous threads and posts about sheep hunting individuals have mentioned people with a many bunch of rams on the wall that reminded the of each hunt. I don't think that it should be dependant on the success of the hunt but the time spent in the mountains with great people.

We have to protect the sheep.

I know many albertans will disagree with and despise outfitters which is understandable, but i believe that targeting all of them and apos as a group is not the right move. I do believe that there should be no scams. As sad as it is our world revolves around money and our province needs the money brought in from non-residents to keep hunting going. With all of the groups trying to stop or slow down hunting these organizations will help keep hunting going for Albertans in the future.

I also have been on some guided hunts out of province and around the world just to experience different kind of hunts. I think that as albertans we should protect our sheep for our selves, but also share the opportunity with others.

I mostly read this forum and dont post too often. One thing I have noticed is how people get targeted and "ganged up on" if they disagree with others. I suspect some jealously in their thoughts.

This is just my opinion, you can agree or disagree, that is your opinion.