Thread: Planer Boards
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I used to run a separate line for the board with a release on the back with the fishing line through it. Fish bit, line released, and once the fish was caught and landed I then retrieved the board to re-clip the fishing line. Sort of the same idea as a downrigger, one line to the ball, and the fishing line through the release. Retrieve the ball to re-set the line after fish is caught.
WHOA THERE ... You might just be doing it wrong ..... and hence .... the pain in the butt it would be to use the way you described it.

You don't need to retrieve the planner board and pull it in. Once a fish takes your main line and separates/snaps off the release the release which is on a curtain ring thingy it (the ring and release) just slides all the way down to the board (and stays there until the end of the day.

That's why they sell multi packs of releases.

When you are finished fighting and landing that fish you put on a new release and send her down the planner board line.

At the end of the day, if you land 4 fish and miss 3 that trip your release, you will have 7 rings/releases waiting for you at the board at the end of the day.

You only put your board out once (at the beginning of the day) and only pull it in once (at the end of the day).

If you are pulling and yanking it in and out every time that would be lots of work.

In my opinion ....

Big planner boards are far less work compared to inline boards, can be sent out further, ride closer to the side of the boat compared to back, can take bigger waves, can pull bigger lures, are easier to use all day (read above) and are capable of running multiple fishing lines down one planner board line (stacking).

They also don't need to be removed while a fish is on the line, or alternately, set up to run down the line to a stop which may interfere with the fish or the fight.

Given an option - using full sized boards has all the advantages. That's probably why most guys that use boards a lot, use big boards.

Here's a bucket of 50 of them .....

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...Fd64wAodJkwPuw

Last edited by EZM; 04-20-2017 at 06:41 PM.