Thread: Planer Boards
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 PM

I use a large double board system. I have a light chain going down about 6" on the front of each board. That way I can clip my main tow line to the board in different positions depending on the wave height and how I want the boards to run. That way I can either have them running smooth, or I can have them jumping in the waves. Depending on where I hook my clip to the chain. The farther up the chain I hook it the more the board pulls down into the water. It does that for a few seconds then jumps up out of the water and pulls the bucktail forward when it jumps. (It acts like when you are trolling and holding your rod and you give your rod a tug).

I am also one of those 1000 guys EZM was talking about. I put the boards out in the morning and leave the boards out until the end of the day. I use the shower curtain and planer board clip system. As described above. It is a good thing to end up with a bunch of clips at the end of your planer boards. That means you had a good day, and got some bites and some fish.

I also run my bucktails at least 100 to 300 feet back. Usually some where in between. depending on the conditions. Farther back for calmer conditions. Closer when it is rougher water.

Here's a few pictures of the boards I run and some of the bucktails that I tie to run behind them. Generally I run bucktails out on my boards. However I know some guys run an Apex or a crankbait out depending on the species they are targeting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2941.JPG (149.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5044.jpg (65.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5571.JPG (147.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5701.JPG (149.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5703.JPG (140.1 KB, 160 views)