View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have used a number of the various replaceable blade knives. Went back to a regular knife. I have no problem getting and keeping a razor edge on D2 or SV30 steel so I see no advantage to the changeable blades and the regular knives are far more robust. Try splitting a brisket on a deer or moose with one of the changeable;e blade types, not going to happen but I do it all the time with a good folder or fixed blade.. I can put a diamond steel to a blade faster than I can replace a blade and no danger of cutting myself or needing a multi tool.

The only use I have for the replaceable blade knives is fine work around eyes, lips etc when capping. There the thin flexible blade is an advantage. To be honest I am too cheap to buy replacement blades so I resharpen them once I get a couple replaced. With a good stone and a leather strop I can get them back to as razor sharp as they were from the package.
Now this guy "gets it".

There is no substitute for high end steel. A hard steel will easily do 2-3 animals with no sharpening.
Those Havalon replacement blades can be sharpened easily, with a hand held style Lansky-quick edge - hand-held, sharpener....3-4 pulls and a razor sharp knife again.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.