View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't call myself a knife snob but I've always like a good knife and have never been tempted by the replaceable blade knives. Of course it's a personal thing so everybody's view is going to differ but I don't care for them.

It's worth noting I worked in a slaughterhouse or two back in the 80's and 90's and am rather skilled with a blade. On top of that I've been filleting fish and dressing/skinning/butchering game for about 40 years.

I have quite a few hunting knives at the moment including a Cutco drop point, two Damascus blade knives (forget the mfg), a Buck and my personal favorite, a Schrade "Uncle Henry"

While not a super high quality knife I'm able to put a seriously good edge on the Uncle Henry. I used it for years and then started buying some of those other knives to try out and didn't use my Schrade for 3 or 4 years. None compare to the Schrade for edge retention once I've sharpened it so I went back to it this year (btw, I replaced the original formed handle for an antler that fits my hand perfectly whether edge up, or edge down in my hand)

This year I dressed all the animals we got. That's one cow elk, a calf moose and 3 mule's. I also helped skin the elk, the calf moose and two of the deer.
I didn't even have to touch the blade to the small diamond steel I carry in my kit once and it's still razor sharp.

Oh, the one mule deer (my buck) I happened to notice the time when I started and again when I finished. I had him dressed in 8 minutes.......and I wasn't hurrying or anything but I had put my Wyoming saw together and put the tag on before starting the main dressing job.

If you're interested, I posted a pic or two of that knife and the Japanese made Damascus blade on this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=206080&page=2

Just an FYI comment on the Japanese Damascus....it was crazy sharp out of the box but halfway through dressing the first deer I used it on, I needed to touch the edge up so it's been sitting at home ever since......LOL
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***