View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I dislike the havalon. I cannot speak for the gerber or the outdoor edge versions.
I tried one on an elk and for my style or maybe I required a learning curve, I felt the knife was too small, which made things slow, it was too flimsy and broke a few blades, I also found the blades to dull very quickly.
Myself I am use to using hard high quality D2 tool steel knives where I can cut through hair on legs and push and pull hard and having a 4 inch blade to allow for longer skinning strokes.
At the end of the day I hated the havalon I feel it is a cheap gimmick for guys that are use to crappy knives and cant sharpen. I would hate to use one in cold weather as well, although my experience was in early fall where getting an animal quartered and out cooling in a speedy time is important the time spent ****ing around was far too long not to mention unsafe and small blade that dulls far too quick.

It does work nice for caping back at camp and it might be ideal for a sheep hunter where every ounce is important however I still feel there are better options for this.
Yeah, this sums up my luck with the Havalon. The blades are way too flimsy for me.