View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
3)A household can legally grow a fair bit of quality pot with care and attention.....when they expect prices in the $250-280 per oz range.....thats quite the incentive to grow at home.....and sell grey market to all your friends. 4 plants averaging 5 oz every 3 months is 80 oz per year, at even $200 per oz that's a $16,000 after tax income incentive......equivalent to $20G or more. Even at California prices of $130 per OZ thats a $10-15G incentive. All with greatly reduced risk.
I've been looking both at doing this myself and trying to decide what some of my holdings are going to do so I've got some thoughts on the subject. Your analysis is flawed.

You can grow cannabis by putting a pot in the corner with a CFL over it, but you are not going to get 5oz of decent product off it. A setup that produces like that is going to need a tent with 2 lighting systems and climate control, hydro pots, a selection of nutrients, an RO system and ph testing gear. You're looking at a $1500 startup cost. Ongoing expenses of a hundred a month and more than a little time invested. In comparison you can go to an LP today and choose between a dozen different strains, dried and ready to consume shipped to your doorstep tomorrow for $250 - $350 an ounce.

Look at it this way; How many people do you know that make their own beer? Of those how many are any good at it? Do you think they keep executives from Molson up at night?

I still want to try it just for the sake of an interesting hobby really but I can't justify it based on the expense alone, I don't quite go through an 1/2 oz a month. Even if I go in with a couple friends and split it one really good harvest would keep us for half a year.

Last edited by midgetwaiter; 12-14-2017 at 02:58 PM.