Thread: Sheep Hunting
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
budget 100 lbs added for a ram trimmed right down, consider two trips out solo, taking a friend, or eating a lot of it for a day or two before you come out lol

a ewe is pretty doable for a solo packout, some studs here pack them rams out in one go though...

are you handy with a knife? are you going about this solo? if you've never deboned an animal before then i wouldn't suggest you get into this just yet or not without someone with experience to mentor you

the judging experience you'll need to determine legal ram is almost a little science on its own worth a crap ton of time to be proficient with, get on the roads, start taking pics

by the post you sound like you just found out you can buy a ram tag over the counter and can giver? sorry if i made assumptions, but if that's the case you are in for the learning curves of learning curves, about several things, including mountains...and how to find them too

the fastest way to learn will be to tag along with someone who's been at it awhile, good luck
I've known about the over the counter tags for awhile. Just have never had the gear to get into the backcountry. I've invested in all the backpacking gear so this year I might actually get a chance to get out and look for one. (Along with Elk if I'm crazy enough to pack it out)

For Deboning I usually butcher my own deer, so I kind of have and idea how the meat should come off. Obviously a sheep will be different.

The judging part will definitely be the hardest part. I'll see if I can get one of my buddies to come out who's done it before. In saying that I don't want to miss out on a hunt because I can't get anything lined up.

Thanks again, any help is appreciated.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill