View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Your really comparing apples to oranges, if you want an uber flat, exotic gun go for the 257wby however if you're loking for something a little more all round and shots under 200yards the 7-08 would do great. I think the 7-08 would best complement your current calibers as your 7mm can reach way outt here with the right loads, practice and optice. Don't even consider the 257 if you don't handload imo due to ammo costs however I've ehard they're coming down witht he larger players jumping and making rounds. I think something that woud even better suit you would be a 25-06 or .260 Rem.
I'm going to throw this out just because I think there are too many people that underestimate the 7mm08 next to the 7 Remington Mag., specifically your claim that the -08 is only good inside of 200 yrds and the Mag is much flatter shooting.

Comparing apples to apples now, shooting a Hornady 139 gr SST, the 7mm-08 is leaving the muzzle at 3000 fps, at 500 yrds it is going 2087 with 1344 lbs of energy, and a drop of 38.4".

The 7mm Rem Mag with the same load/bullet is leaving the muzzle at 3250 fps, at 500 yrds it is going 2300 with 1633 pds of energy, and a drop of 32.6".

While the Mag clearly comes out ahead of the -08, it isn't by some huge margin, and considering how much tamer the 7mm08 is to shoot, it hangs in their very respectably IMO. You are still well over the 1000 lbs energy mark that seems to be the 'industry standard' for humane kills on deer size animal, so there is no reason one couldn't use it at the 500 yrd mark assuming they are profficient with their shooting. (I wouldn't do it, I know my limits, and my -08 will do more than I will). As far as flat shooting, there is less than 6" of drop difference between the two. Of course, other bullets/loads will give different numbers, but used this comparison because it is one of the hotter factory loads for the 7mm-08.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone