View Single Post
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
" . . . One other consideration for you is the action size . . . I had a buddy who disliked his blr in 7mm because it had a very long lever stroke according to him, and his 308 didn't. If you've tried it and like it go for it, but from what my buddy said I be'd tempted to take a second look at a short action if they even still make two sizes . . . "
Thanks for the scope suggestions Homesteader ... much appreciated! I'll be checking into those two models you suggested.

As for your buddy's comments (above ^) on the 'different' leaver stroke lengths of the BLR, I don't believe they exist.

I was in Wholesale Sports (Calgary) this week. A 'VERY' helpfull clerk at the gun counter took the time to lay our four (4) different BLRs on the counter for me ... two in short action (.308 & .270WSM), and two in long action (30-06 & 7mmRM). I took the opportunity to compare several different things on each of the four rifles ... one of them being "lever stroke". I can confirm from that experience that all four of the BLR rifles tested had 'exactly' the same lever stroke distance. Browning accomplishes this by varying the lever gearing for each type of cartridge.

The difference that I did notice was that the long-actions required a bit more 'effort' to cycle the rifle, than the short-actions did. I suspect that this is due to the different gear ratios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Here's what it looks like with the barrel mounted scope...

Good photos ^ SheepHunter! I'm guessing that scope is a; Leupold FXII 2.5X28mm IER Scout ... am I right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
dont have any personal experience with the gun but i had a magzine with the review of it and they said there was virtual no shift in POI after taking it down then putting it back together several time.
I keep hearing/reading that ^ as well ... its very encouraging! I may end up abandoning my original plan of mounting a scope up-front on the barrel, like what SheepHunter has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
" . . . As for chamberings I would go with a short action in a BLR. I think they feel better ballanced and snappyer . . . "
I have to agree with you on that ^ ... especially the 'non-mag' short action BLRs. They feel like they would be very quick to use in the bush. I was considering one of them in a .308, but to my disappointment all the 'non-mag' short action BLR's only have a 20" barrel. As about half of my hunting is done in open country, I prefer to have at least a 22" barrel.

TF