View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 AM

When i was about 17 I learned about the 308 Norma Mag, and I wanted one in the worst way just bc it was different than the ever so popular 300 WM. Needless to say it wasn't an easy find but I found one when I was 18 built on a P17 action with a Birds Eye Maple Thumbhole stock, 4 boxes of Norma shells and a Cheap Tasco scope. I developed a load for it with 180gr Partitions and 4350 powder, and took it Moose hunting that year. I found a 52 1/2" bull at 425 yards and put him on the ground with one shot through the shoulders. Found the bullet under the skin on the far side, since then I have been in love the with cartridge.
I sold that rifle and found a Model 70 Classic that I had barreled and chambered to 308 Norma Mag, this is my go to gun now, and I have had nothing but great success with it, both in accuracy and in hunting. Worked up a load with 168gr Berger VLDs and 168gr Barnes TTSX that shoot within 1/2" of each other. I have yet to actually use the Barnes for hunting bc the Bergers have done everything i have ever wanted them too. I will have to try them out one of these days just to see how they work.
You get all the benefits of the 300 WM but with a longer neck to give you a little more neck tension and bearing surface which was thought to be a benefit. If you reload they are great, if your shooting factory it can get a bit pricey to shoot a lot of rounds, but spending money on hunting and shooting is never a bad thing!