Thread: Success rate?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 11:20 AM

Off the top of my head...first season with a bow, I called in a bull moose to about 60 yards, no shot, and had no success on the land I had permission to hunt. 0% success rate

The next season, I killed a mule doe on opening day, and a whitetail buck (163") the next day. I went on to arrow a 40" bull moose that fall and killed another doe in November.

That was the first 2 years. I was stoked. I learned you only get out of it what you put into it. I went on to kill 7 more moose over the next 10 year period, 1 other buck that grossed in the 170" bracket - and countless other deer, and a couple bears.
In that span, I can think of (1) year, when I turned down 11 bucks through October, spent well over 30 total sits in the stand, only to arrow a spike buck on the last day i could hunt. To date I consider this my best success with a bow to be honest! So yes, success on hunt is what you make of it.

However, now with kids, living where I do, I put in appox 17 total days through the past (2) Novembers, and my success rate has been 0!!! lol

I use AO forum for the motivation, as I know if i stick with it it'll come back. Eventually. I am also thinking about cheating and using a gun this fall in the interest of necessity. But I won't include it in my success rate.