View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Holy, just checked winchesters site for some ballistics...that stw is a cooker with a high bc bullet to boot eh? I'm sure it would get your attention in a light gun! I like the 130 gr xp3 in .270 wsm at 3275 fps though...3000 ft/lbs gets it into 30-06 territory for recoil...sound like a good combo for sheep in a lighter sheep gun. The 7-08 looks pathetic in comparison...about 15" difference in drop at 500 yrds.

If never to shoot beyond 300 yrds though...the 7-08 would be just fine with a fixed 6 power!

I've played out to 500 yrds with my .204 and 400 with my .270 and don't find it too difficult to shoot well enough under decent conditions to those distances so far. I shot one 3 shot group at 300, then 400, then 500 with my .204 just determining drop to match to the bp reticle and it was a 2" group at 300, a 4" group at 400 and a 6" group at 500 and i wasn't really trying for a tight group. My partner had his tikka t3 in 25-06 there that day and his 3 shot at 500 was like 3 3/8" doing same thing. It shot a little better than my .204...probably a 1/2 moa gun where i'm like 3/4 with the .204 cz american...any rate. Didn't find it too hard. It was windy, we set up in a large open area on private land and tried to put the target as close to dead down wind as possible so we could stay on the board but we were surprised how easy it is to shoot distance if you just actually do it.

Since then after dead stands while calling coyotes in winter we'll take pokes at interest in the snow at ranged targets out to 600 yrds and i've been so close with the .204 that had it been a coyote it'd likely have died. So not sure why 300 would be the limit for a sheep if a guy and his gun were much more prepared for further and had the right conditions/opportunity etc.? Otherwise why bother with a short mag?
Try it with a sheep rifle affter humping your but for about 1/2 mile up a mountain in thin air with a big ol' ram at about 437 yrads.
That is , AFTER you range it and check your come ups.

I've heard this stuff regularly, and have talked to llots of fellas who say they an do it, but have a hard time makimng the shot when real World conditions prevail.
i've seen world class compeitors make costly mistakes on the range, so it can happen in the field.
That is why one would want to get as close as possible.
Cat