View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Banned

One of the men I learned to shoot from was the late Joe Gibeault, an Inspector with the BC Fish and Wildlife Branch, who was the World Champion at Bisley during the mid-late '60s, a superb custom riflebuilder and a hunter of enormous experience and success in the "glory days"of BC hunting. He was one of several genuine experts I had the privilege of learning about guns, shooting and hunting from as a beginner.

He used to tell us various gunnuts who hung around a certain gunstore in my hometown that longrange shooting at game animals was not his idea of how things should be done and advise us against it. During those years and later, I would spend months every year, working and living solo in wild sheep country and I have seen many of them, yet, I have not seen a necessity to shoot at extreme ranges, either in BC or AB.

The very experienced riflemen on this thread, guys like Stubby and Cat, do not seem to be very keen on longrange sniping at game, neither am I as I have seen too many wounded and lost animals. Even with a .300 Roy, a 7STW, a .264 Win. or other longrange cartridge, I consider 400 yds. a very long shot and would only attempt it under ideal conditions which, as Cat indicates, seldom happen in sheep mountains.

I used to shoot 2=300 bigbore rounds every week at the old Barnet Rifle Club here at Vancouver, regularly held .5moa at 200 yds. and could put five quick shots, offhand-freestyle, into 4" at 100 yds., consistently. I still think that extreme-range sniping is not a wise idea in game hunting and won't try it.