View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 09:53 AM
sheephunter

While there has been much talk of ballistics and shooting ability, the one glaring ommision here has been optics and I think your inexperience showed through greatly Stinky with comments about using a 4x and 6x scope for 600 yard shooting. There is a reason that long-range bench shooters use high magnification optics....so they can pick the same point of aim consistently. While you might be able to throw a one-inch group at 100 yards with a 9x scope, I'll guarantee that doesn't translate to a 6" group at 600 yards. With a 9x scope at 600 there is no way to accurately pick a point of aim three times in a row. Your crosshairs would be covering several inches of the target so just aiming at the same spot each time would be impossible

Take a 4x scope scope out side and sight on something 600 yards away and tell me how you can expect to pick a precise point of aim. At that range about as accurate as you could get would be aiming somewhere in the middle of the body. No matter how good of a shooter you are or how zip zoomie fast your calibre, optics become the limiting factor for shooting tight groups at extreme ranges. Add hold over into that equation and your shot is just plain irresponsible. How are you going to precisely judge holdover with a scope whoes crosshairs are the equivilant to a couple feet thick at 600 yards. You can't.

You said yourself that you are cocky and I couldn't agree more but I think you need to temper that with some common sense and real world experience. You have virtually no big game hunting experience with a rifle yet you are ready to run up a mountain and take a 600 yard poke at a sheep. The most gut wrenching sight in the world is watching a wounded ram run over a ridge.