View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

Sheep your right about the 600 yrd stuff though 9x would be a minimum for me. When i had the tikka .204 out on its one and only coyote hunt i had a dead stand and hadn't shot distance with it yet so i took 3 shots to find which hash mark to use on the 14x leuply lr with vh reticle to connect with a mole hill at 608 yrds. The next three shots all connected on the mole hill within 6" of each other...not a big mole hill either. Had i already known which hash mark to use then all 6 would have been in there. Sold the gun the following week...just a bit clumsy for the kind of coyote hunting i like to do. Yes, it was a mole hill, not a coyote, not a sheep, but this long stuff isn't really that difficult...its like nike...just do it. Never know, might come in handy someday. Heck, i use a bp reticle on a .17 hmr now and have it figured to 300 yrds, not hard to hit the same clump of horse poop out to 250 shot for shot once the hash mark was learned...dial up to 9x, range target, check your wind and away you go. Now am i saying i'd go taking those shots at a sheep...probably not...probably would at a coyote if already pre-learned the hash mark...wind was super light...just had to hold to the one side of the mole hill...just saying that might as well be prepared...they were merely 'learning' shots....just target practice.

So here we are...talking the virtues of the super fast magnums and not even practicing to beyond 300 yrds? Not even acknowledging that much more is possible under the right conditions? What is that? Why bother with a magnum then? A 7-08 is plenty to 300 yrds, energy and trajectory, not much to learn there? I don't set my limits that way. I'll practice to as far as i can learn any tool and then use my head to use it appropriately afield...can't remember last thing i wounded by being irresponsible. I wait for the right shot opportunites and generally my game is well inside my comfort ranges...probably inside the first 1/3rd of my comfort ranges so don't worry too hard about me making any mistakes out there at this point....as i said many times...i will be ready for much more than what i expect.

Whats this about paralax others are mentioning? If you shoot the same power and use the given hash mark you've already proven for a given range are you saying that can change somehow? I've not noticed that at all shooting my .204 with a 3-9x40 burris ff2 with bp reticle. When i pick a target in the snow at 500 one day i hit the same place the next day. Do clarify...i don't change anything up...i learn it and use it exactly the same way and it hits the same(how else to have confidence?) so not sure what your meaning there?