View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
The crosshairs cover an entire 4.33" standard clay pigeon. With my 24X scope you I hardly notice the pigeon sticking out on either side of the fine cross hairs.
Yeah, pretty hard to hit something that small at distance if thats what your using as a reference to hold on as you can't see what your doing.

If i remember right a gun is just as accurate with iron sights as it is with a 24x scope on it...its the nut behind the wheel that makes it work right.

I used those large orange 200 yrd targets and i think the crosshair on 9x pretty much covered the cross completely at 500 and fringed at 400 but either way...i quickly found reference that i could repeat and got a 4" group at 400 and a 6" group at 500 without trying to armchair quarterback it or anything...just doing it to find drop not group size and i found a consistant hold point to accurately determine drop....thats how it worked...for real.

I put a 5 moa red dot on a .17 hmr at one point. The dot covered 5 inches of target area at 100 yrds. The gun was sub moa. So what do you do to zero that? What i did was buy targets with black center circle about 10-12" in diameter so i could hold the red dot in the middle of that for each group of shots and then i just moved the group around inside the dot (so to speak) until it was a little high of dead center on the black target. The next day i shot gophers with a buddy and his scoped .22 mag and i equalled or outshot him to 130 yrds all day....the longer ones the dot completely covered the gopher but it worked just fine as i knew the bullets were landing in the middle of that dot...if i had the middle over the gopher it went pop. It wasn't hard to learn how to zero it properly and it wasn't hard to shoot it properly. You have to reference things. If you want to be able to hold the same position on a target then you gotta have some reference points that you can see. If you can't see your clay pigeon and have nothing else to square up on then yeah...you gonna have a problem with accuracy and consistancy.

Put a coyote there instead or a much larger aiming point that you can repeatably center or hold on and see what happens.

Am i talking out my bum? Not sure i'm understanding your comment on that fully...if your saying it can't be done because you can't see it? If your target was a square board then you could put the crosshair level with the top edge and center and you could punch a decent group no problemo...you'd have a consistant reference. A game animal would be much easier to get the references necessary to shoot well at those ranges with half the magnification your talking about....even those large 200 yrd targets worked fine to 500 with 9x....but a clay pigeon would be intimidating and near impossible to reference at those ranges without a ton of magnification...i wouldn't be able to find it on 9x at 500. But put it in the middle of a board with a few black squares about 12" out from center on all four corners and it would be much easier as you could center the crosshairs using those reference points. Please tell me this is some general common sense i'm using here and that this isn't a revolutionary way of finding a way to aim at things?!

I must be lucky as my first try at long range was basically moa all the way...just like at 100. Why wouldn't it be?