View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Stinky, I am not against long-range hunting at all providing the shooter is knowledgeable about all the variables, has practiced under different situations, has confidence in his abilities, has confidence in his equipment but most importantly, has confidence in making (as opposed to taking) the shot. As I said months ago, you can be lucky to get hunting access and you can be lucky to find game but luck should have no place when you decide to pull the trigger.

If you know you can do it, good for you. And I will admit that I envy your ability. I shoot out to 400 yards (range only) on a regular basis. I have arguably the best hunting rifles, scopes, spotting scopes, chrony’s, reloading gear and computer software that money can buy. But I lack consistency in my shots… shooter error, misjudging variables, etc. I would consider myself a pretty serious student of the shooting sports… and I know I will always remain a student.

While I am certain that you recognize many of the variables in long range shooting, distance, elevation, wind, humidity, temperature, your own limitations and the limitations of your equipment I hope you also recognize the game variable. Over a distance of 600 yards from the time you commit to the trigger and launch your projectile at 2,900 fps a lot can happen at the target site. This is a highly unpredictable variable and we owe our quarry and sport a great deal of respect. Regards, Mike