View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antler1 View Post
First day of rifle season I was still bow hunting and had gone to a virgin stand that I had left alone all season waiting for the right wind. On my second rattling sequence I heard the subtle crunching of deer hooves coming through the leaves under the spruces to my right. I peered down through the spruce branches and saw a fork horn WT buckling first . He stopped but I could still hear another deer coming. In short order a heavy bodied 4x4 came into view and hit the scent stream of one of my upwind scent pods. He stopped and curled his nose up and then his tail lifted up and started waving back and forth. He was stopped right where I wanted him to be, giving me a broadside 12 yard shot. His morning changed in a split second as the muzzy blew through him. He bounced about 40 yards away and came to a dead stop. In a couple more seconds he just tipped over- heart shot. The fork horn stayed close by and soon another 4x4 buck come in. He stared at the fallen buck for a while , then he too came right in to my stand. I filmed them with my phone for a while until they lost interest and wandered off. Just had some back straps tonight. Mmmmmm.

Nice work! Although you pulled the shot, you didn't quite shoot through the center of the heart.