View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
The finger pointing is done by the fishermen that steadfastly REFUSE to acknowledge that their pastime also causes impact to fish stocks. They say oh its not as much impact. BS. There are lots of lakes in the province that are not in the least affected by quadders, but fish stocks are declining in those areas as well.

Why do we have walleye draws? Why is Calling Lake now down to one small walleye to keep, while pike are closed? Going to tell me quadders are damaging the fish stocks in Calling Lake also?

Couldn't be the hundreds of boats on the lake when you were allowed to keep more fish?

With the amount of fishermen and amount of lakes, rivers in this province, I'm expected to accept the fishermen's position that there are way more bad quadders than fishermen. Again, BS. There are tons of poachers and fishermen that don't follow the rules and damage fish stocks, but lets just concentrate on OHV users.

THAT is the issue I have with their position.
The difference in impact is completely different...
Fisherman impact fish stocks/populations which can be managed
OHVs impact the overall habitat which impacts the fish and wildlife populations in the area and downstream for generations, not to mention they impact other rec users peaceful enjoyment of nature.

As already stated; fisherman help mitigate their impact on fish populations by purchasing a license and following regulations. Is this enough? not even close in my opinion. Should OHVs follow something similar...perhaps its time.

Could OHVs be the cause of a fisheries collapse...there are numerous accademic papers on the effects they have on aquatic systems, but with most problems it is way more complex than that and there are numerous contributing factors that have lead to its collapse.

The path that I feel best suits all sides (environment included) is EDUCATION, better communication and enforcement. If OHV users are required to take a operators course in order to drive in the backcountry it would educate them on proper etiquette, best practices for minimizing impact and where and what not to do. The money for these courses could go to local riding clubs or non for profit groups to do habitat mitigation work. Follow this with enforcement and dialoge between user groups so we are not put at odds with one another and there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

If you consider the amount of money the government collects in taxes for other methods of transportation (car, buses, trains, taxis, planes ect) or in park fees for other rec activities, then OHVs have to be the most destructive least taxed of any transportation or rec user. Is it any wonder why this market boomed and only now are we really starting to see its effects.

Food for thought...