View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
6.5 is my favorite big game caliber, Im not a competition shooter.

Having said that I wonder if there is such a thing as the perfect long range cartridge.

Recently I've been reading "The Accurate Lee Enfield" by Stephen Redgwell.
In it he talks about participating in 1,000 yard matches for unaltered .303.
I believe they were in New Zealand.

I know my SNo4 Mk 1* was factory equipped with a rear sight calibrated out past 1,000 yards and I know there are warnings on .22 rimfire cartridge boxs saying they can be dangerous up to half a mile distance.

So I wonder, if all that is true, then when one is comparing rifles with trajectories that vary less then an inch at 1,000 yards is there really any advantage. Or is it more in the shooters mind?

Moreover, if one can hit a target at 1,000 yards with a .303, which is disdained by many for it's supposed rainbow trajectory, is not ability a much bigger factor then trajectory. And isn't seeking a flat trajectory an admission that one lacks confidence in his ability and possibly lacks ability too?

Of course some would argue that wind is a factor and the flatter shooting rifles are less subject to wind deflection. Fair enough, but then wouldn't a shorter heavier bullet be better?

Isn't it easier to compensate for six inches drop as opposed to six inches wind deflection?
I'm thinking, drop is pretty predictable, wind drift over a 1,000 travel not so much.

My only experiences with anything close to long range shooting involved off the shelf hunting rifles under field conditions and only somewhere around 500 yard ranges.
It taught me one thing, a Bear can walk more then half it's body length in the time it takes to squeeze the trigger and a 284 bullet to travel 500+ yards.
If one added a bit of wind, I can only imagine how far off target I would have been.
I think there are a number of things to consider, especially for the 1000yd competitive shooters. Drop, drift, availability of quality components, proper clambering and twist rates, and recoil. I would think if someone wants to practice long range shooting that all of these things would be an important feature. The 6.5 does allow the shooter to sustain a down range energy with less recoil ratio.