Thread: Rapala for pike
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Spinner bait is just another tool that has its time and place. If I really want weedless I go with soft plastics rigged weedless

Too each their own on the LT spoon and I realize they work but like I mentioned earlier I don’t even carry spoons of any sort for pike anymore. I own tons of them in multiple brands, sizes, and every colour you can think of too. For lake trout, trout/char in general, and salmon I use spoons but not for pike. I have even banged out my own spoons in the past

These days my pike box consists of mostly different lipless jerkbaits/gliders, soft plastics, and bucktail/spinnerbaits. 0 spoons 0 crankbaits and outside of some small soft plastics that is what most out there use.

Everyone develops their own fishing style and if it works it works. The funny thing is lure choice is often influenced by the region more than anything. My pike box looks very different than most albertans pike tackle and I often get funny looks over the lures tied on my line but I am catching fish
All true, by the late 90's I almost never used spoons for pike, and have now come back around. Much like how I used to carry a Swiss Army Knife cause they were usefull, cheap, and they worked. Went to something more sexy and expensive just cause I could, and eventually found my way back.

As for "Normal", I'm often throwing striper plugs and saltwater jigging lures using light surf fishing tackle... in the big wide world of pike fishing I would say that my own gear/ methods are more offbeat and experimental than your own. I've never been shy about experimentation, I just think that the localy favored casting spoons are too usefull and versitile of a tool to ignore.