Thread: from the vice
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLayden View Post
I imagine the ass end hangs down like it is in the photo? Maybe try some green foam palmered on the trailer instead of thread and wire?
No the ass end follows behind like it's supposed to, it just doesn't have the movement like I had hoped. It did work quit well in the tub, but I could work it with the line in my hand and have visual feed back, when I can't see it and with all the line out it losses that intimate touch.

I spent an early morning couple of hours laying on the bridge to the island at Police Outpost many years ago. One of the things I learned as I lay there, watching trout pick off damsels two feet under my nose is they get very keyed in on the wiggle. I had a hairs ear on a leader that I would toss out when a trout would cruise by, they zip right up to it observe the fly, same as the damsels, and they would wait for the wiggle. The second a damsel wiggle he'd get sucked down, my fly would get stared at for about 15 seconds and even little twitches would not elicit a strike, it needed a wiggle which I didn't have. Was actually quite the magical morning even though I didn't catch anything, still remember all of it all these years later.

As my damsel imitations keep failing and the nondescript woolly bugger keeps catching fish, I begin to wonder why. It has to be the sensuous dance of the marabou.

My lack of success with damsel imitation is starting to turn into an obsession.

Thomas Sowell