Thread: Rabbit hunting
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Okay.

Again, I would suggest two things: first, take the hunters education course, and second, pick something besides a crossbow.

As was alluded earlier, not only will shooting at bunnies be hard on bolts (short arrows) you will likely never find them after launching them towards the ground. That will get expensive fast. Arrows are slightly easier to find (only slightly) so make sure you get 1) carbon arrows and 2) brightly painted/fletched arrows.

I will not criticize you on your desire to not buy a firearm. Hunting with a bow is very challenging and very rewarding. However, be aware that many hunters (hunters with many years of experience hunting with firearms) have a hard time hunting successfully with a bow (or x-bow). If you are brand new at this, it will likely be even tougher.

I am not trying to discourage you from hunting with archery equipment, far from it, I just want you to be aware of the challenges you are setting yourself up for.

Even if you decide you are only going to hunt for rabbits for a while, please go to your local hunting store (or canadian tire) and get a copy of the hunting regulation synopsis. Read it, then re-read it, and then a couple dozen more times.... THEN ask questions about the parts that don't make sense to you, and we will be happy to try and help you with the answers.

BTW, if you do enter a National or Provincial park (read the regs) the bow/crossbow must be encased or disassembled.

Cheers.